Interview with Kathy Parks!

Hello everyone and welcome to a very exciting interview! Today, I have Kathy Parks, author of the Lifeboat Clique, here to answer some qu...

Hello everyone and welcome to a very exciting interview! Today, I have Kathy Parks, author of the Lifeboat Clique, here to answer some questions about her writing, book, and herself. I hope you all enjoy this interview and be sure to check out The Lifeboat Clique!

---

1. Hey Kathy and welcome to Next Page Please! Thank you so much for being here today to answer some of my questions. For my first question, I would love to know what gave you the idea of The Lifeboat Clique and how did it change as you were writing the book?
Thanks! Glad to be here! Great question! Actually it started with a true story I’d read about the aftermath of a tsunami — that a house had been swept away by it and I imagined this house, floating on the ocean all alone. Kind of like the movie Up!, but Down! And I pictured this place would be a party house. Later my husband said this wouldn’t actually work, that the house would sink. I took his word for it and made it into a lifeboat.

2. Who are three authors and three fictional characters you would love to be a stuck on a boat with?
Writers: Jesse Andrews, Pat Conroy and Toni Morrison. Fictional characters: Katniss from The Hunger Games, The Warden from Holes and Amy Dunne from Gone Girl (these two could fight to the death and that would kill some time while we wait for rescue)

3. If you knew that tomorrow there would be a tsunami wiping out America, what is one thing would do before life changes forever?
I would be kinder. And see my mother. And have some cupcakes.

4. Do you share any qualities with the characters in The Lifeboat Clique? If so, who and how?
I really feel for Denver. I didn’t have many friends in high school. I wasn’t exactly an outcast, but I don’t think I had very many social skills. I wasn’t one of the popular kids and remember being jealous when I heard them planning parties. I had a great sense of restlessness and a desire to get out of the house. I had a few friends, but don’t remember high school being all that wonderful. College was better! Also, I would like to think I’d try to be resourceful like Denver, and try my best to survive. I don’t watch the Discovery Channel as much as she does. But I did once have a sleek, indifferent cat upon which Sonny Boy is based. Chasing the real Sonny Boy’s love was often an elusive task in his last, somewhat contemptuous years.

5. Shows you are currently obsessed with? TV shows you will forever love?
Let’s see…not obsessed but do like Better Call Saul. Also love House of Cards. Breaking Bad is forever Good.

6. What is one thing that would cause you to sneak into a party where you would be surrounded by your enemies?
The aforementioned cupcakes. Oh, hell, any carbs at all.

7. Was The Lifeboat Clique the original title for this book? How did you come up with it?
I think it was. It just sort of happened, although my agent did encourage me to come up with some alternates (I remember one of them was We Were All Invisible). But somehow Lifeboat Clique won the shootout.

8. A piece of advice you would give Denver if you were in her position? (On the lifeboat or with Abigail)
Wow that is a really really great question. I had a best friend who suddenly turned on me in middle school and I remember it being quite traumatic. That sense of loss and betrayal and loneliness. I guess I’d tell her to be careful casting the story with herself in the role of the victim. To see it in a more open-minded way, less black and white. And to say sorry to Abigail for her part in things, even if she thought she might never get an apology in return. Also not to make fun of Abigail’s freckles. I think she’s sensitive about them.

9. Thanks so much for answering my questions Kathy! For my final question, I would love to know what you did in celebration of your publication of The Lifeboat Clique.
You ask such great questions! I believe when I first got the offer I actually jumped up and down. On publication day I had a tequila shot and let two friends take me to dinner. I hope that you and your readers all have great things to celebrate this year, and I thank you for your support.

---

Kathy Parks


Hi, I’m Kathy Parks, author of The Lifeboat Clique. (Katherine Tegen Books, March 1 2016) It’s about Denver Reynolds, an outcast at her high school, who ends up in a lifeboat with the popular kids who hate her. It’s Mean Girls meets Life of Pi! I live near the beach in Carpinteria, California with my husband and two cats. I love questions and meeting other authors. Hope you’ll check out The Lifeboat Clique!


Check out Kathy's book here!

So tell me: How did you enjoy the interview? Thoughts on the Lifeboat Clique and have you heard of it?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top