Let's Talk!: This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

This Shattered World Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner Pages: 390 Publisher: Disney-Hyperion Release Date: December 23rd 2014...

This Shattered World

Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Pages: 390
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: December 23rd 2014
The second installment in the epic Starbound trilogy introduces a new pair of star-crossed lovers on two sides of a bloody war. Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met. Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents. Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion. Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war. 

---

I think it took way too long for me to finally pick up this book. I really loved These Broken Stars and was actually kind of sad to read that Lilac and Tarver weren't going to be in the next book but I really enjoyed This Shattered World regardless. The plot really fits in with Lilac and Tarver's story and I enjoyed finding out more things about the whole situation through Flynn and Lee's story. Again, I loved Amie and Meagan's writing and how well they work together when it comes to writing. The characters were all so interesting and the plot constantly kept me on my toes! Definitely made me excited for Their Fractured Light.

I was looking forward to meeting Jubilee and Flynn because they both come from such different sides and causes of one huge battle, I knew I was going to get something interesting! Even if they both believe in different things, they both are really badass characters. I love how powerful Jubilee was and also how influential Flynn was on his people. (Power couple y'all. I love it.) They both really change throughout the book though. Not only their beliefs but also their personality and how they deal and handle situations, which was really awesome because it is nice to see how much people can each other, Flynn and Jubilee especially. If we were to stick Flynn and Jubilee in our world, I definitely think that they would be the "polar opposites" kind of couple. You know, Jubilee would be the one super prepared and ready to leave while Flynn is still in bed. (Tarver and Lilac would be totally opposite. Tarver is more prepared while Lilac is totally not...) It was really great reading about Flynn and Jubilee and I enjoyed their story.

The thing about these books is how quick they get and Amie and Meagan take no time together the plot and storyline introduced. These Broken Stars definitely took a little longer than This Shattered World, that's for sure. It progressed nicely though. At one point, an event happened and I look at how far into the book and I wasn't even halfway through, even though it felt like I was supposed to be 3/4 through. There is a lot that happens in this book but it doesn't feel like it was dragging out too much. I admit, there were moments where I wondered how much needed to happen to tell Lee and Flynn's story but in the end, everything adds up nicely and all these events come together to finally make sense. 

One more thing I really enjoyed: the writing and world building for this book. Obviously, would building is very much needed for this series, seeing as though it takes at very different settings compared to ours. World building definitely delivered. It was obviously going to be so different compared to These Broken Stars (because there are actually more people...on this planet...) and it was actually nice to be on a different part of this galaxy. Both Meg and Amie did a great job describing Avon for us and I am obsessed with this galaxy. OBSESSED.

I gave this book 5 stars because I fully enjoyed the characters, plot, character development, and I am so excited for the next book.
Honestly, so much has gone on during this book. With Lee's kidnapping to the ending, where we find out McBride was the person who killed everyone. One of my most favorite things that happened in this book was probably the small cameos Lilac and Tarver had. I will not lie, I legit freaked out when Jubilee turned on that webcam and saw Tarver on the other end of it. With Lilac in bed with him.
(Image Source)
I'M SORRY AND NOW THEY'RE ENGAGED!??!?!

(Image Source) Never in my life have I loved the word "fiancee" that much.
I basically died while jumping up and down due to happiness because These Broken Stars leaves us off where we know for sure that Tarver and Lilac are able to be together and now they're engaged and so happy together and so hopelessly in love with each other. I'm sorry, but I am really excited to see how they end up in Their Fractured Light.

McBride was a pretty shady person to begin with. He didn't have a good co-leadership with Flynn and he didn't have the best beliefs. Then, Lee is accused of killing a whole bunch of rebels and it was all with a Lee's gun model. *gasps* Because Lee is the only one with that kind of gun. Part of me wanted to believe it wasn't Lee but all signs really pointed to her. Then Tarver freaking checks the shooting history (Ugh, why didn't they do that immediately after they found Lee with a whole bunch of blood on her hands?) and we find out *another gasp* that Lee didn't shoot all these people! I am honestly really sad that Lee short McBride before he even got a chance to explain why he did what he did (Probably to make Lee look bad but really? Kill that many people?).

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top