Let's Talk!: The Heir by Kiera Cass

The Heir Author: Kiera Cass Pages: 342 Published by: HarperTeen Published on: May 5th 2015 Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing ...

The Heir

Author: Kiera Cass
Pages: 342
Published by: HarperTeen
Published on: May 5th 2015
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible. But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests. Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought. 

---

When I heard that Kiera was going to be writing more installments for this series, I had a pretty mixed reaction. Happy because I would be getting more Maxon and America without annoying Aspen and kind of annoyed because, oh great! Another Selection. Well I read it, I don't hate it but I didn't love it. I didn't really like Eadlyn and I felt as though this book just didn't have it's Selection-y feel. I just didn't feel like I was reading a book in which 35 people compete for someone's love. This book felt like a teacher playing favorites and I will explain why soon.

Ahhh I can never really handle the protagonists in this series. I didn't mind America but damn, Eadlyn really annoyed the crap out of me because of how arrogant and spoiled she is. She was always saying how she didn't need anyone or how she was the most powerful person. I could point out several parts in this book in where if Eadlyn really didn't need help, she would have acted differently. Her brother, Ahren, was more of a tolerable person that Eadlyn! (Definitely liked him 10 times better than Eadlyn) She was also just so stubborn. I don't mind stubborn characters, but Eadlyn was so stubborn to the point where it was just so annoying. I do expect some personality change to happen to her in the next book so hopefully she gets better.

As for the plot, that wasn't as good as I hoped as well. Like I mentioned, I just didn't feel like I was reading about the Selection. It was more of a girl whining about needing to find a husband while life continues around her. However, when there were parts in which Eadlyn is doing Selection-y things, I took full advantage and fully enjoyed them. Well, at least I tried to. Remember how I said I didn't like Eadlyn? Yeah I didn't like the way she ran her Selection as well. I didn't like how some of her dates went and how she just handled her Selection in general. This is mostly because if she was my friend, I would be so annoyed of her. Again, now that I'm expecting Eadlyn to change in the next book, I really hope I can enjoy her Selection.

I gave this book 2.5 stars because I found the main character annoying, the plot was kind of hard to read but I do hope the next book is a lot better.




What. Was. That. Ending. I kind of dislike it because it is so unnecessary. Like wow great, a big reason why I decided to read The Heir was to find out more about America and Maxon after their Selection and now America has the chance of dying? (I admit though, I really need to move on from America and Maxon. This is about Eadlyn now...) Ahren leaving was already big enough for me because he was one of my favorite sibling. Although, I don't blame for leaving. If I had to live in a kingdom in which the subjects despised the next Queen, I would want to leave. Plus, Eadlyn was being such a brat toward Camille like eugh. I really liked Ahren though because of how down to earth he was. (Unlike Eadlyn...) There is such a small chance he ever does come back but if he does then the next book will get so much better.

One thing that I also didn't like about Eadlyn was how little effort she was putting into her Selection. She didn't even try to get to know half the guys and then she just let's got half of them like that!
(Image Source)
If you were to tell me to name at least 7 of the candidates, I would probably fail to present you with that many names. She just didn't try enough to get to know all the guys! That's how you know, Eadlyn definitely didn't try hard enough to know the guys. I would laugh at her if she ever eliminated the person she ends up, but this is fiction so that does not and will not happen. Now that she has realized that she needed to change, I expect more effort into this selection!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top