Let's Talk!: Hidden Girl by: Shyima Hall

Hidden Girl Author: Shyima Hall Pages: 232 Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers  Published on: January 21st 2...

Hidden Girl

Author: Shyima Hall
Pages: 232
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers 
Published on: January 21st 2014  
An inspiring and compelling memoir from a young woman who lost her childhood to slavery—and built a new life grounded in determination and justice. Shyima Hall was born in Egypt on September 29, 1989, the seventh child of desperately poor parents. When she was eight, her parents sold her into slavery. Shyima then moved two hours away to Egypt’s capitol city of Cairo to live with a wealthy family and serve them eighteen hours a day, seven days a week. When she was ten, her captors moved to Orange County, California, and smuggled Shyima with them. Two years later, an anonymous call from a neighbor brought about the end of Shyima’s servitude—but her journey to true freedom was far from over. A volunteer at her local police department since she was a teenager, Shyima is passionate about helping to rescue others who are in bondage. Now a US citizen, she regularly speaks out about human trafficking and intends to one day become an immigration officer. In Hidden Girl, Shyima candidly reveals how she overcame her harrowing circumstances and brings vital awareness to a timely and relevant topic. 

---

There is just something different about reading a non fiction book. Sometimes it may be something like an auto biography or a true story. However, non fiction is non fiction, no matter the story and one thing won't change about it is the fact that it was real. This story actually happened. As different as it is to read a non fiction book, it is also very different to write a review for it. There are only so many things the author had control no over in a non fiction book. I can't say that the main character was annoying or the book was too boring, because this is real life! That's the funny thing about a non fiction book is you come to the book. It won't come to you. The story isn't accustomed to everyone, you have to custom yourself to it.

So how do I write a review and rate a non fiction book? Well, you're supposed to learn from your mistakes right? Not just your mistakes, but everyone's mistakes. You can learn things from stories as well. However, there are different learning experiences a book can give you. It can give you a moral or a life lesson. Most importantly, it can bring awareness. Some people may go into this book not knowing that slaves still exsist! I know I did. But I learned something from Hidden Girl. I learned that moving to America may not mean freedom for everyone, I learned that a simple phone call can change someone's life. Most importantly, I learned that there are slaves and human traficers are everywhere and it's not okay. It's not okay that these slaves should have freedom but instead they are working their butt off for rude people. It's not okay that these people are starting to be slaves as young as age 8! When I was 8 I was sitting on my computer watching kids shows! I didn't have a clue on how to cook (Which, I still can't do) and my clothes were getting folded by my parents! (I fold and wash my clothes on my own now) This is how I rate a non fiction book. I learned so much about human trafficing, slaves, and what it's like to be one. I also learned how a slave can recover and maybe live a normal life. It's so funny too, that a family with a slave can seem so normal. The family Shyima lived with in America lived in Irvine, I'm currently about 40 minutes from Irvine! They can seem like such normal people and it's interesting to think that I could have passed by the very house Shyima lived in before she was rescued. There is always more to what meets the eye...

I gave this book 5 stars because even though it was a short read, I learned something.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top