Let's Talk!: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Second Chance Summer Author: Morgan Matson Pages: 468 Published by: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Published on: Ma...

Second Chance Summer

Second Chance SummerAuthor: Morgan Matson
Pages: 468
Published by: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Published on: May 8th 2012
From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak. Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains. Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve. As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.

---

I have done it! I read all of Morgan Matson's books! This one was very good. The synopsis already got me into the book, I just had to read it. The events were definitely something I liked about Second Chance Summer. The characters were something else I really liked and that's that. If you haven't read any Morgan Matson I would definitely start with this one. 
*Going to try bolding important points because I realize how boring it is to read really long reviews

Oh jesus, this book was so bittersweet. *sniffles* This book marks my last published Morgan Matson book. Yup, I have read all three Matson books and it I feel so accomplished. Now I just have to get to Katie Finn... Shall we get into the discussion?

First of all I got to say was that this book was so bittersweet. I was so happy that Taylor was able to mend her relationship with Henry and Lucy but oh my goodness the dad. There was one point of the book where I totally forgot that their family was on the island for the sole purpose to be together again before her dad died. When the realization hit me back I again that this book was going to end when the dad dies, I was so dreading the ending. I really liked Taylor's dad too so the ending was sadder than usual. Usually I don't get very affected when parents die ONLY because I haven't seen too much of them. If there are pages in the book with the character interacting with a parent that is going to die, yes I will maybe shed a few tears; I'm not heartless I promise you!

Characters

The main girl herself, Taylor. Her "run away when things get bad" habit is just something that needs to be broken. It didn't appear as much this summer but in the past it was definitely there. I don't agree with the running away thing because it doesn't really help anyone. You're to have to face the problem sometimes so delaying it does not help. Other than that Taylor seemed like a very interesting character. There was a line in the book how she compares herself to her siblings and say something along the line of "Gelsey does ballet and Warren studies facts. I am just Taylor." I can't remember exactly what she said but she compared herself to her siblings saying she was the girl who just learned a whole bunch of languages. This got me thinking she just felt kind of average compared to her siblings. Thus making her a bit insecure. After the news of her dad dying I think that insecurity increased a lot because people were now actually talking to her and paying attention to her. Just something I noticed.

Henry is kind of the opposite from Taylor. He seems like someone who would be approached at a party; he wouldn't approach someone though. Shy, but just a little. The first half of the book I was wondering why he was so mad at Taylor because something had to happen to them when they were 12 for him to not be happy to see her. Now, I know why. Dammit Taylor, it was the running away thing again. As we got to know Henry more I was shipping him more and more with Taylor. (And it did happen oh my gosh) Is it bad that I think Henry would do great as a dad? Okay, no, no one?

Lucy is definitely very different from Taylor. These two are like the pair where you wonder how they are friends. Lucy is like the who would drag Taylor to a party while she wants to stay in and sleep. At the beginning I was wondering what happened between Lucy and Taylor to make Lucy so upset, it was the dang running away again. Have I said enough? I just wish we got more parts with Lucy in them because they were mostly at work or just the occasional mention of Lucy. She seems like a cool person and the fact that she has a new boy every week seems very Lucy.

Just a thought: I loved Taylor's family. Even though their dad was dying, they kept together and acted like such a good family.

The Couple 

The fact that Taylor and Henry dated when they were 12 makes me laugh. It also makes me wonder what would happen if they were still together for all this time. I think they would also work perfectly fine as friends but they would have to get together sometime. Ugh, I just don't know what I like about them but they are really cute together.

Events

So the meteorite shower before Taylor's dad died; yeah that part was probably the last happy moment of this book. Like god Morgan, that hurt my heart. He got to see something not a lot of people get to experience and I'm happy about that. The morning after that was just horrible. I felt so close to Taylor's dad because I he sounded like a great fri- I mean dad. I'll admit, I cried. You can't blame me, it was a sad sad moment. Ahhh I just wish he were still alive, like some miracle had happened and he survived. It just really hurt to read get weaker and sicker throughout the book.

Okay, so back to the Taylor running away thing. (Yes! I'm still at it, this running away thing is just so annoying I cannot stop talking about it). Taylor breaking up with Henry was probably the thing that got me so annoyed. Like I was facepalming myself at this point. Was this really necessary? I understand she wanted to "protect" Henry from pain but don't you think he would be just as hurt watching Taylor be affected from the death? It's the kind of situation where you should just let someone help you. You can be strong but breaking up with Henry was something where Taylor was just being super confusing and stupid.

Overall I really enjoyed the book and would definitely reread it. I need a sequel please.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top