Let's Talk!: Tease by Amanda Maciel

Tease Author: Amanda Maciel Pages: 328 Publisher:  Balzer + Bray Published on: April 29th 2014 From debut author Amand...

Tease

Tease
Author: Amanda Maciel
Pages: 328
Publisher:  Balzer + Bray
Published on: April 29th 2014
From debut author Amanda Maciel comes a provocative and unforgettable novel, inspired by real-life incidents, about a teenage girl who faces criminal charges for bullying after a classmate commits suicide. Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault. At least, that's what everyone seems to think. Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community, and the media. In the summer before her senior year, in between meetings with lawyers and a court-recommended therapist, Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment—and ultimately consider her own role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over. With its powerful narrative, unconventional point of view, and strong anti-bullying theme, this coming-of-age story offers smart, insightful, and nuanced views on high school society, toxic friendships, and family relationships. Supports the Common Core State Standards..

---


Tease was a great read. It stuck to the plot and the characters were great. One thing I loved about was it was written and "now" and "then" form and both times still made me want to continue on with the book. Usually I can't read from "now" and "then" formats of books but Amanda's writing was so great I got through it no problem. I read all types of books so if you just want to read this book, go for it! 

I'm not a person who reads a lot of the suicide and depressing stories but I'm glad I read this one. I have had Tease on my shelf for awhile now and I actually met Amanda when she was touring with Kiera Cass and Kevin Emerson! (Didn't get a picture and the book signed buuuut I did get a sticky note signed!) So now that this extra information has been passed, let's get to the review!

*looks down at notes* I think we are going to start with the characters of this book. The boys of this book were pretty sucky and some okay guys. People other than Carmichael were sucky. That's right everyone that was involved with Emma whether they bullied or dated her were pretty jerk guys. The less jerky one had to be either Dylan or Kyle([?] the one that dated Emma but broke up because she kissed Dylan?) As much as Dylan was a jerk he wasn't as bad. Yes I do kind of blame him for his and Sara's crumpling relationship. He shouldn't have kissed the girl
 
(I had to) that Sara hated the most. It was that easy. As much as you want to or feel like your relationship is crumbling don't cheat. It's selfish and rude. Also, did anyone think he was a jerk after the suicide. Yeah, I didn't really like him. Then we have the main characters of this book. Sara, and this time I'm going to say Brielle and Emma are main characters because they're pretty important. Remember when one of Sara's brothers, I think it was Tommy, called Brielle a bitch? Yes, I think I may have to sort of agree with him there. Bitch is a very offensive word and especially in this book it was thrown around like it didn't mean anything. So I'm going to say Brielle was a bitch to anyone who she didn't like. Now I admit, I can be a little rude to people I dislike and I don't dislike them just because, it's usually because they have hurt me in someway. Now this is a different thing from Brielle's story because Emma didn't do anything to hurt Brielle. Heck, she didn't even go for her boyfriend. Brielle just assumed things and starting acting like a bitch toward Emma. It's that simple. That is where I am getting this from. In the ending of the book Sara apologized to Brielle for not being a better friend and stepping up to her. I don't know why Brielle acted how she did to Emma. Maybe it was truly to help Sara or just to feel the power of dominance but was the bullying really necessary? Okay I really need to stop ranting.   

Emma was someone I would probably dislike in real life. Yes I know she died but if she wasn't my friend I would probably dislike her but do nothing to show it. You feel? Sara would be someone I would be friends with. Like we walked to class together occasionally but I wouldn't tell her all my secrets. Then there is Sara's brothers. They seem like cool siblings. Well cool if they don't bug you all the time. Sara's parents are just sad. Her mom seems cool but a sucky parent. Are always there to have with you but didn't give a crap about your grades. I don't even want to talk about her dad. He was the person that gave a shiz when stuff was actually happening. Leaves a fandom because the people they are fans aren't big enough. Then when they get big this person comes back into the fandom and acts like they've been loyal. That's the dad. Comes back when there is stuff going on and he is needed but never comes “just because.”

The statements at the court case were probably the fakest thing ever. This is where we find out Brielle just bullied for maybe the pleasure and people like Jacob bullied because he really thought she was a “slut.” (And so did Brielle) They just mumbled a few words and called it a day. This was serious stuff and if you're not going to be truthful about your apology then don't say it. And you may be wondering why I thought only Sara was being truthful to her statement. Well I think she was the most effected. Her mom struggled in money and people were looking down on her because she caused the death. She was the only “Emma killer” going back to school that year. No one wanted to talk to her or even look at her. 

Did I already mention how extreme the bullying was. I mean I understand you dislike her but was it seriously necessary to humiliate her? Saying “She stole my boyfriend” doesn't give you any right to do half the things they did do to Emma. “She's a slut” isn't a valid excuse either. Guys, it's never okay to humiliate someone just because of your opinion. You know what, don't humiliate anyone at all! It's rude and shouldn't be done. Thank you.

So back to the cheating. Not only does Emma cheat on Kyle with Dylan, she sleeps with Tyler who may I mention is over age. I guess this is where everyone get's the “slut” part of Emma. I wouldn't agree with that but I would say...she is a bit messy. Again, not nice to cheat, don't do it. End of story.

I'm surprised you have made it this far. All that stuff up there hasn't been too positive huh? Let's talk about something happier...Sara and Carmichael! These two are so great for each other. They make each other better people and are very happy around each other. Sometimes. That is why I like them so much together. I don't know if they got together in the end but I hope they do.

Finally! The last part of this review. The ending. I thought the ending was a great way to tie off the book without hinting there will be another book. The problem is solved and everyone with continue their lives normally. Done! Sara's life got better after that situation I have to say though.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top